[VAC] Re: Water Heater Continued

        Is the pilot flame enveloping the end of the thermocouple? And- does it only go out if the main burner is on, or will it go out just burning on pilot only?
        If the pilot flame is *not* enveloping the end of the thermocouple, then the pilot orifice needs to be cleaned or replaced (I would try just blowing it out with compressed air first).
        If the pilot only goes out when the main burner is on, in addition to cleaning the pilot orifice, I would look closely at the main burner air adjustment- if it is adjusted wrong, the main burner flame can "pull" the pilot flame off of the thermocouple, making it go out. On an Atwood (Bowen) the flame should not *quite* roar- I adjust the air so that the flame is yellow (air shutter closed)- then open it up until it starts to roar, and then close it a little.
        Also it is important for the gas to be shooting straight down the burner tube (hard to explain- but easy when you look at it).

________

        Chris Bryant