[VAC] Email while traveling

Hi fellow travelers,

Does anyone with a cell phone use CellFlex by Ositech.com for sending and
receiving email?  I've been told it works with a laptop using a King of
Clubs PCMCIA modem card which costs a mere $150, but it works only with
specific cell phone models (I don't know which ones).

What prompted this question? We're at a Campground in Clewiston, FL for a
week.  The campground office charges $2 for every 15 minute session on their
phone jack and only between 1-5 pm and not on Sunday. The staff were
gracious, polite and exuded southern hospitality while outlining the rules
and taking my money.

It doesn't make any difference that I do "flash sessions" on Earthlink's
800# when no local number is available or that a session takes about three
minutes. The charge is the same, plus they warned me the phone lines are
unreliable and might not be satisfactory.

If paying this kind of line rent for an unreliable phone connection is
what's coming down the pike for us as serious RVers, then simple math tells
me to start looking for a new toy that will do the job, that will be owned
by me, and that I can use whenever I wish.

Maybe I'm a bit grouchy because it's been raining for two days and the
heat/humidity has me leaving windows open, which allows aggressive
mosquitoes to burrow past the fuzzy fur in each window slide.

Windows on the street side can be left open without rain coming in because
of the shorty awnings. The main awning is retracted to avoid losing it to
gusty winds. I'm still smarting from having that occur twice in five years
(including having 10" deep awning tie downs yanked out of the ground).

Oh - another thing, one of two pay phones in this park is out of order and
the other won't access pocketmail without breaking the connection in the
middle of a download (12 attempts). That doesn't please Sandie who does all
her emailing with a purple pocketmail device, nor me who treks it to the pay
phone. We may buy a silver pocketmail device that will work off our digital
cell phone signal.

Anyhow, this is my week for minimal sending and receiving email.

Terry
mailto:tylerbears@airstream.net