[VAC] Re: Info On Engines Please

Alex
I have a 5.7 (350) engine in my truck too. Probably the best motor Chevy ever made. It has 200,000 plus miles on it now and still going, just like the energizer bunny. Yes it burns a little oil between changes, but it still gets the job done.
I've been thinking myself about rebuilding it before I drop a valve or something and ruin it, or just chenge the engine out to save time. I've priced an engine at Advance Auto Parts (short block- minus heads), with a 3 year unlimited mileage warranty for $825.79 out the door, for a crate motor from my local Chevy dealer the same engine (NEW) would cost me $1986.95 with a 3 year 36,000 mile warranty. I help a friend rebuild his and it cost about $400.00 doing all the work. Of course he didn't get the heads done or the block flushed either, but he's been driving it for four/five months now, and seem to be doing fine. If I was to go the rebuild route, which I have priced because I would like to make it into a 383, plus get the engine block magna fluxed balanced and blueprinted, heads reworked (polished/ported), it will cost me almost $1400.00 with no warranty.
At this point I'm still undecided on what I will do, when the time comes, because I like the idea of having 435HP under the hood, but my wallet isn't thick enough right now.

Bobby