[VAC] Simple (?) how-to questions

My 66 Caravel toilet apparently hasn't been used in years, and the Thetford
Slide-EZ valve is stuck open (it's also missing a part of the handle, the
part that goes through a small hole into the back access compartment).
Should I try to force the valve shut, or is there some tried and true way of
coaxing it shut and still being able to open it again? Product suggestions?

Question 2: Is drilling the safest way to get rivets out?  I need to replace
a broken-off overhead bin latch, but those darn rivets are stuck in there,
right in the way! (I'm hoping I don't have to buy a special tool because I
don't plan to do a lot of rivet work.)

Thanks for all the advice I enjoy on a daily basis. - Kathy Fisken