[VAC] Re: '58 Overlander Electric Brake Wiring

Brad. According to Airstream, all 59 trailers had black tanks. Gray tanks did
not become the thing to do with Airstream until 1974. All Airstream trailers
from back as far as the early 50's, had some form of low voltage lights. But
back then as I recall we still had six volt systems in cars, and in the
Airstream trailers, that was an option of sorts.
There are "many" mysterious Airstream trailers out there.  Since it's your
trailer, you can do with as you wish. Back then many owners did the same
thing, usually based on what they thought was good for them, or that they
wanted. The major problem back then, is that the RV industry was in it's
infancy, and no one really had the "answers" as to what things should or
should not be. Today, that's no longer true. The RV industry has matured to
become the giant that it is. They still make some mistakes and/or do dumb
things, but not like 30 to 50 years ago.
I suggest that quite well, someone has modified your 59 for their own
purpose. Upgrading vintage Airstream trailers is what we do everyday. It's
really almost "unbelievable" of the things that we have found to exist in
some of them. Part of the problem is the new owner, who has usually never had
an Airstream trailer, purchased one so that he is no longer a "wannabe", but
is now a "isbe". They of course have no way of knowing what was original, but
usually take for granted, that what they purchased, is original. That is
usually, very far from being so. I could write a couple of books, on just the
far out, and many times how unsafe or unhealthy things we find that someone
has created.
Communicating with the "vintage" owners will be a great help to you.
Andy