[VAC] Does Distance Make a Difference?

Hello All,

I have to replace my Airstream Univolt III in my 68 Sovereign, or at least I think so. The current unit does what it is supposed to do, provide power to charge the battery, however it overcharges because it does not have some kind of shut off when the battery is fully charged. So I kill batteries by over charging by not paying attention to how long the converter is on. All I know is we turn it on, get busy with something and start cooking the battery. So before I buy new batteries I have to purchase a new converter (I know that an inverter is better but the difference in $$$$ for an inverter is not in the budget this year!).

Now for the question; to add an additional battery to the system I need to move them from the rear of the coach to under the bed mid coach which will add about 12 feet to the current wiring, is this going to cause a problem? I am worried about the reduction in effectiveness of the charging system by increasing the distance from the converter to the batteries.

A new converter will have an automatic shut off to keep me from cooking the new batteries and the new batteries will be AGM or gelcell to keep from killing us from their placement in a non-vented area.

Also any recommendations of converters or battery brands will be gratefully accepted!

Ed

WBCCI/VAC 4425

68 Sovereign (needing a new batteries and converter)

59 Traveler (needing more than a converter at the moment)