[VAC] Re: Skin Rpair/Replacement

Jason,

If I were in your position, I would be reluctant to pick up a unit with skin
damage that you are not prepared to live with. Panels with creases usually
have to be replaced. It is an expensive proposition, about $1500 / panel.
Minor dents and dings are not that unusual, but something that is creased,
crumpled, or large really detracts from the unit.

There are a lot of good used coaches out there in the $3000 - $7000 range.
There was a early 60's trade wind in Indiana a while back for around $1000.
I was tempted to take a look at, but I already have 2 I don't have room for,
it would be nutty to buy a third.

What part of Michigan are you in?  I live in the Detroit area (Northern
suburbs).  The Airstream factory service center is a little over 3 hours
drive.  I've had both my coaches down there (my motorhome is there now,
done, waiting for me to pick it up).  I take them there for Airstream
specific work done. Woodland Travel in Grand Rapids is another place I've
had work done. They would be an alternative if you were in Northern
Michigan. Be sure to make an appointment in advanced if you decide to go to
Airstream.

I have heard of (but not worked with) another place in OH, P&S Trailer
Service.  They are on Rt 6 just west of Helena, Oh. about 17 mi. east of
Bowling Green. They are in the Airstream refinishing business and have been
doing it a long time. They also do metal replacement and other trailer
repairs. Some of the service folks have recommended them for clear coat
work.

Terry Tyler commented in his post about the TCT Florida rally that Forrest's
'48 was repaired at a place near Kingston, ON and that they did an excellent
job.

Jim