[VAC] Bent ? Axle

I looked at a 1964 Tradewind today.  Needs lots of fix-up but only one thing
really worried me.  The single duratorque axle was bent up in the middle.  I
would say the total deflection was between one and two inches.  The bend
was, as near as I could tell by eyeballing it right in the middle of the
axle.  I am no expert but I do not think this is normal.

Does this represent a fatal flaw in the axle requiring replacement?  Or is
this a characteristic of some duratorques?  Or is this damaged but something
that can be ignored?  I know it was towed a short distance about 8 months
ago with no problem.

Thanks for any input.

Dick