[VAC] Refrigerator work

Hello,
Thanks to all for the responses on the hitch set up. Now, sooner or later I'm
going to get back to working on the refrigerator. I haven't gotten involved
in the gas in the trailer yet but I did make some ice after changing a heater
and plugging in. I also changed the thermostat since the heater was on
constantly. There was no change. It just seemed to want to be on or off.
Adjusting the thermostat just changed where in the range of the control it
turned on. I have no particular reason to trust either of the thermostats. I
have parts left over from a former dealer shop. It seems they saved some
faulty things for some reason. I get a certain amount of pleasure from
tinkering around with this stuff. This is a good thing to tell myself as I
waste time by stubbornly avoiding asking advice. So let me ask this, does it
make any sense to think that a refrigeration unit is less efficient because
of age and would require being heated constantly to maintain proper
temperature for food storage? I did the turning it upside down thing. OR,
should I assume because it works well enough to make ice that it is okay. I
have a new old stock refrigeration unit to replace it with. Whether that
could be just as bad because of age I have no idea. It has a nice paint job
and maybe I might as well try it since I have it.
 Having read the service manual on the subject of making that replacement I
came upon references to "Thermal Mastic" and "Permagum". Does anyone know
where I can get these things?
Best Regards,
Erik Murray