[VAC] Re: Heater Trouble

Hello, Bobby ...

I'm having the same trouble with the furnace in my ' 68 Tradewind. I haven't figured out a fix for it but I have the trailer winterized and haven't messed with the furnace since the Vintage Rally at Top of Georgia. As I understand the operating cycle, the main gas valve won't open until the blower gets going to: (1) bring in fresh air from outside to support combustion and (2) blow air across the firebox into the duct work -- with enough air volume to close the sail switch. In my furnace, the pilot flame is very low and may be so low that the thermocouple drops out shutting off gas to the pilot. I replaced the thermocouple so I'm convinced it isn't defective. The furnace was doing the same thing before I installed the new thermocouple. There is a screw adjustable orifice for the pilot which I have opened wide open as best I can tell but the flame is still too low it looks to me. Maybe somebody on the list knows how to crank up the size of the pilot flame. I think that would help. I wonder if different types of thermocouples have different output voltages so a weak pilot would still provide enough signal to keep the pilot going and not close the pilot valve.

Jim Greene
' 68 Tradewind