[VAC] hello

Dear Airstream friends,

Just a few words of introduction....

My dear wife Lori and I live full time in Phoenix and bought our first Airstream three years ago, a '72, 27' Overlander.  What a learning experience.  I am a woodworker so promptly began a restoration and redid the interior with cherry cabinets and furniture.  Then we came upon a wonderful piece of property in the Sierra Nevada foothills, Nevada City , CA and decided it was the perfect retirement spot.  Boondocked the remodeled Overlander on the property and began to plan our future "quiet life".  That was great!  But, both still having full time jobs in Phoenix, we missed camping on the weekends, so had to find another Airstream.  Found a classified on the web and located a perfect '68 Globetrotter in Riverside.  Managed to make a deal and we able to enjoy Airstream pleasures again on the weekends when we were not at Nevada City ranch.

Now, we didn't plan this but a few months ago in Sacramento we came upon a airstream parked on the curb with a for sale sign.  Of course curious, we drove past a couple times and a woman popped her head out and said "do you want to buy this trailer?"  Not really wanting a third airstream, we looked at each other cautiously but could not resist a "look see".  This airstream thing seems to have a way of getting under your skin!  An hour later we were towing it away with $900 less in cash having made a homeless woman and her daughter even more homeless (actually I think our cash saved her from homelessness for a while because I'm certain she could not have been living in that trailer).  Nothing worked and it was very trashed inside.  So, our plan is to clean it up and redo enough of it to use it as an "office" at the ranch and as a guest bedroom until we get the property developed.

So now for the fun (or is it the tough part).  I've ripped pretty much everything out and of course discovered the subfloor badly rotted from water damage under the windows.  I've replaced sections of it but need to figure out the best way to stop the windows from leaking.  The trailer is a '72, 31' Soverign with "skylight" six inch high windows above every side window.  I think those things are what is leaking and the water is running down inside the walls to the floor.  Has anyone had experience sealing those things?  Looks like taking out all those rivets holding the frame to reseal would be a major  project.  Any advice would be appreciated.

Gene Johnson