[VAC] Re: winter towing

         Obviously, very good advice.  However, if life were that simple,
this thread would not have been started.  There are many things that apply
forces to your tow vehicle and trailer that you have no control over, and
which, on ice, can break the trailer or tow vehicle from traction even if
you don't use any braking at all - wind, potholes, changes in the road
tilt, semis, etc.
         As Scott has pointed out, he originally asked about how to handle
your rig when you unexpectedly find yourself on ice or snow.  I expect most
on this list would not voluntarily tow under those conditions.

>When the friction coefficient drops to zero, bad things are gonna happen.

         If it really dropped to zero, you would be lost no matter what,
and you would have a very hard time stopping.

>Properly adjusted brakes and the use of the manual control on the controller
>can get you out of some trouble. Stomping on the brake pedal will not.

         Absolutely true, ice or no ice, in many situations.  I doubt,
again, there are many on this list who would react by stomping on their
brakes, even on dry pavement.  That could get you into trouble there, too.
         IMHO, the rule might be stated:  If you find yourself on ice/snow,
go slow, don't apply heavy braking, and if possible, get off the road at a
resting place and wait for the ice to go away.  Your trailer will probably
have been set to apply trailer brakes first, so be extra careful when braking.

- Dick
(5368)