[VAC] Re: '64 Overlander Windows

Greeting Ted!

Unlike some of the Brand X trailers of similar vintage, the windows on a '64
Overlander have a separate latching mechanism that is not associated with
the crank/lever mechanism.  Depending upon the size of the window, there
will be at least one and in most cases two latches found in the lower
corners of the window opening.  Sometimes it can take some contorsions to
crank the window closed while keeping the locking levers raised -- this can
be a particular problem on the front and rear "picture" windows where there
are two operators and two latches.  Before having new operators installed on
my windows, I had to resort to using duct tape to hold the window closed on
the outside while I latched the retainers on the inside.

The operators as well as the handles themselves are readily available for
the regular windows.  My regular Airstream dealer, Ace Fogdall RV in Cedar
Falls, IA stocked all of the necessary components to replace all of my
faulty mechanisms.  The only ones that may prove problematic are the
operators for the jalousie windows beside the entrance door.  I have been
advised by at least two repair facilities that parts for these Hehr jalousie
windows are much harder to find - - but my originals show little if any sign
of wear despite near constant use when the trailer is being used.

>From your description, I almost wonder if the model year might be
mis-identified on this trailer.  It almost sounds like you might be looking
at a newer model with the Corning windows which had a very different
latching mechanism from the Hehrs found on the '64.  If you see Corning on
the window glass, it is quite likely that the trailer is a '66 to '68.

> My questions are, first of all, why is this happening?  And secondly,
> what can I do to fix it?

If you are actually looking at a '64, both the operators and the handles are
readly available as are the locking levers.  Airstream dealers who are
familiar with the vintage rigs shouldn't have too much difficulty sourcing
these window operaors and latches.  I know several sources have been
mentioned, and I would add Ace Fogdall RV in Cedar Falls, Iowa as they
replaced virtaully all of the operators in my '64 Overlander just prior to
this past year's travel season.

> Thanks,
> Ted
> Good luck with your decision!
Kevin D. Allen
WBCCI/VAC #6359
1964 Overlander International/1999 GMC K2500 Suburban