[VAC] Re: winter towing

Bob:

         I agree, apples to oranges.  Well put.
         Unfortunately, Don's demo could not be applied simply to an
articulated vehicle and give meaningful answers.  Don uses a toy car on a
ramp, and runs it down freely; then with the front wheels fixed by a rubber
band, so that they slide; then with the rear wheels fixed to slide, again
with a rubber band.  The result is clear and more or less independent of
residual (sliding) friction on the fixed tires - fixing the rear tires
causes instability, fixing the front ones does not.
         With a trailer on dry pavement, even if the trailer tires skid
they will still provide a stabilizing frictional force because sliding
friction is not zero.  So, if the tow vehicle is not skidding too, a
skidding trailer could still be stable.
         On ice, the residual friction is much reduced, nearly to zero, and
the skidding trailer will probably try to jackknife.  If you are able,
accelerating the tow vehicle (but not enough to break *its* tires loose)
should help; even without much tire friction at the road, the trailer
inertia will still tend to straighten the rig out.  Trailer brakes are
unlikely to be very effective on "glare ice," although every little bit
will help.
         Running on packed snow rather than "glare" ice, especially if it
has developed a rut, should give more stability.  Your experience in Alaska
seems to bear this out.  Glad you had no trouble.
         Seems to me like "stay at home if you can" would be good advice.

>No way did I want to have my rig all over the road in -40 weather.

         Yeah... the weather itself is a life threatening at that temperature.

- Dick
(5368)