[VAC] Re: Shocks for Tow Vehicle

Don,

The best shocks are Koni, followed by Bilstein.

Stay away from the "Load leveler"or other spring booster shocks (including
those you can pressurize).

Shock absorbers are dampening devices to reduce the oscillations after
hitting a bump or rut.  Hence the shock mounting is not designed to support
a continual heavy load.  [The exception is the one where they are an
integral part of the load leveling suspension system - as in the current
Tahoe's factory installed load leveling option or Mercedes load leveling
option on their station wagon.  (I am sure there are others, but these
examples come to mind.)

If you want to increase the load capacity or rear "tail draging" the only
sound solution is stiffer (stronger) springs or air bags.  Air Lift air bags
are excellent, and go between the leaf spring and the chassis frame.  They
can be inflated to whatever pressure is needed to support the load. (within
limits of course). There is even an on board option available.  Air lifts
will also provide an excellent ride under all driving conditions, whereas
stiffer springs usually don't at lighter loads.  If you have coil springs in
the rear, you are out of luck.  However, I believe that a '99 burb has rear
leaf springs.  If not, look into what it would take to install the factory
load leveling option after the fact.

Air Lift makes kits for many vehicles.  I believe even Camping World sells
them.

Oliver Filippi