[VAC] grey water storage

Hi Daisy,

Every family is different, I know that. Our choice of which size blue bomber
to buy was originally decided by the size of the compartment where I would
store it when not using it (sometimes my logic is illogical).

This purchase occurred during the era when a bucket with a hole in the
bottom was the norm. The blue bomber was used in cases where the bucket
would be entirely unacceptable (rally parking on macadam or at rally parking
where the adjacent RV was a mere awning's width away).

With my usual minimalist approach to spending money on things I don't think
will be used a lot, we bought the 5 gallon size.  But, when parked in a
campground, both of us quickly learned it must be emptied daily and no later
than after supper. This taught us to conserve water and not use more than 5
gallons a day. The job of emptying it never seemed like a big deal to me
because the container weighs only 40 pounds.

Another thing I quickly learned was how to empty it into any rest room flush
toilet without spilling a drop. Granted, I learned the hard way, but learn I
did.

It's been fifteen years since we began using our blue bomber. The ten
minutes it takes to empty the thing has become a routine part of my regular
afternoon schedule and neither of us ever raised the question about buying a
larger size tank.  The job was never a drag.

What's my point? Because it's a drag for you, I'm sure you will find a way
to add grey water storage. How many gallons of capacity you want - will be
determined by how much work or money you want to invest in the installation.
I predict 10-15 gallons will be the maximum.

You've read my postings in the past and know that I'm not gung ho for making
major changes or modifications to my Airstreams. Instead, I try for the just
noticeable difference and only for solving the most nagging inconveniences.

For example, when we added grey water storage to our1967 22' Safari, we
wanted just enough capacity to allow use of water at lunch stops in rest
areas on the Interstate without putting out the blue bomber and without
adding weight at the bumper.

To accomplish that, I installed an elbow at the grey water outlet from the
factory "direct drop through the flap" at the rear center. To that elbow, I
attached a PVC pipe which follows the bumper (inside the storage area along
with the electric cable). It comes out through the frame (welder cut the 3"
circular hole).

This routing was selected for two reasons. One was to create a grey water
holding tank (PVC 3" diameter by 3' long). The second was to have a more
convenient location for the outside cap.

By using a cap with a garden hose connector on it, I can empty the few
gallons inside the PVC pipe without spillage before leaving an Interstate
Rest Area.  Unless someone is paying very close attention to me, I can drain
it into a 3 gallon paint bucket within minutes and discretely empty it
without most folks noticing what I've done.

This system works for us on most occasions. But, there are times when it is
not appropriate. I offer my ideas only as options, knowing full well that I
don't use them in certain parts of the country and at certain events. The
old standby concepts we taught out kids still apply (attention to detail,
organization with planning, and thought before action).

All of us will be interested in what you decide to do,

Terry
mailto:tylerbears@airstream.net