[VAC] 4x4 vs 2 Wheel

Over many years I've towed many different types and sizes of trailers
with many different tow rigs. The obvious question seems to be "just
what are the needs"?

For myself for many years my Suburban with 2 wheel drive meets my
requirements. It has a limited slip differential, and this makes a world
of difference. When the 40 gallon fuel tank is full and with the tongue
weight of the trailer it has great traction. When solo in snow I place
extra weight in the back. I've gotten into some pretty slick places with
even a trailer hooked on.

One such place was an event in early spring that was held in a large
meadow. Over several days of very hard rain and many vehicles going to &
fro the "roadway" became so thick and slimy with deep muddy goo that
they brought in a four wheel drive tractor to pull vehicles in and out.
In fact the tractor even would get stuck as the operator didn't have
much experience in operating the thing.

When it came time to depart things were a mess! ...................
However with my limited slip 2wd Suburban with Airstream in tow we made
it out under it's own power. We had quite a ways to travel as well.

My wife's car is a late model AWD Subaru Sport Wagon. The traction it
has is fantastic as it's drive system places all torque at the proper
wheels supposedly at all times. (So far so good.) If one wheel starts to
lose traction the computerized braking system will apply brakes to that
wheel so the power will go to the other wheels. So far in 37,000 miles
it has been trouble free. Time will tell for just how long.

Personally I feel that most folks could get by just fine with 2wd and
the less cost and maintainence that go along with. However there are
definately those few that a true 4wd truck is the most appropriate for
their needs. For those that fall in between consider a 2wd with a
limited slip differential. This combo has done very well for me on
several different trucks. On the Suburban at 190,000 miles I've had no
transmission or differential troubles. I do have a good transmission
cooler and change fluids when needed.

All of you, ................ where ever you may be this holiday season,
................ Have a great Christmas & New Years!

Pat