[VAC] Re: Tow vehicle, Don't go too small

Trying to get away with an under powered, light weight, short wheelbase tow
vehicle is simply a dumb idea.  This sort of wishful thinking, if followed,
will sooner or later get you into a very hairy (if not downright dangerous)
situation.  The reality is that you can't violate the laws of physics.

That is not to say that many RVers do not successfully(?) tow their trailer
with a marginal tow vehicle.

Unlike the 60's and 70's, current automobiles are, for the most part, no
longer capable of towing travel trailers of any substantial size.  Cars (due
to fuel economy pressures) have gotten lighter and trailers have gotten
heavier.

This leaves one with choosing among trucks and SUVs.

Once again, brutal reality sets in.  Most SUVs are light weight vehicles
with small engines (for fuel economy(?) or are gussied up lightweight truck
based vehicles or overloaded lightweight automobile platform vehicles.
Common sense would tell one that none of these product designs is going to
have the beef to reliably tow a substantial travel trailer.

The bottom line is that there is no substitute for a substantial engine,
strong transmission (with the proper gearing) and a sturdy chassis.

In the current product mix, this translates to at least a half ton pickup
truck or vehicle derived from this platform.  The old full size (2 door)
Chevy Blazer (no longer made) was an excellent tow vehicle, and shorter and
more maneuverable than the larger Suburban.  The closest thing to the old
Blazer is the current 4 door Yukon.  These vehicles can be ordered with
large V8s and heavy duty towing options.

Four wheel drive is a useful option but not for the reason one might think -
off roading.  Rather it is the two speed transfer case which will allow you
to pull out of steep grades or other conditions which would overwhelm a
conventional power train.  The low gear on my old Blazer saved my neck more
than once in unanticipated situations where the only way out was straight
ahead.

Stick vs. automatic.  I am not a fan of a stick shift (I'm sure I will get
lots of flack on this one.) as I think it is a passé technology and way
overrated.  The scariest situation with a stick is trying to down shift to
get some engine braking on a downhill grade and not being able to engage the
gear.  This can never happen with an automatic.  Also, the cost of
maintaining an automatic over its useful life is a lot less than a stick and
a new clutch.  With the automatic, all you have to do is change the
transmission fluid and filter at 15,000 mile intervals (something you can do
yourself or have done at low cost).  Also, a supplementary transmission oil
cooler is essential.  The improved fuel economy credited to the stick, is in
my opinion a myth.  It is primarily the result of driving habits with the
stick vs. the automatic. (the driver tends to anticipate stops by slowing
down earlier so as not to have to shift through as many gears.  With an
automatic, there is no effort associated with shifting, so the tendency is
to use the brake and the gas more.  So far as slippage in the automatic is
concerned, this is another over rated power loss.  Modern automatics have
minimal slippage and lock into gears a lot faster than their predicessors.
Also, from a physics standpoint, any slippage in an automatic will be
converted into heat (Joules Law). I haven't seen any melted automatics on
the road lately!

So far as engine size is concerned, small engines are not economical towing
substantial loads so far a fuel economy is concerned.  In addition, if you
are constantly pushing the little engine, it is going to wear out faster (if
not break) under such use.  The toughest thing on an engine is high RPM,
because of the increasing loads on reciprocating parts as the RPM goes up.
Note that most small engines get their power at higher RPMs than larger
displacement engines - enough said?. Diesels are the exception in that even
most  small ones have strong torque and good durability.  The caveat here is
that you will not be moving very fast if the diesel engine is too small.

Stanley Marcus, of Nieman Marcus (who is a stickler for quality) once said,
"I never had a customer return something because the quality was too good."

The tow vehicle corollary: Talk to experienced trailer towers, and I'm sure
they will all tell you that they never returned a tow vehicle because it had
too much power and strength.

Good luck,

Oliver Filippi