[VAC] Re: transmission flush

I never just drain and replace the fluid.  For a vehicle that I'm only using
for towing, I want to replace the filter every time, which involves removing
the pan.  You might consider doing that yourself, as others on this list
apparently do, and I'm sure they can give you advice on how to do that.

However, I don't want to do this myself.  My mechanic declined to service the
AT on my '93 Chevy 3/4 ton van, saying that if parts fell out when he dropped
the pan, he wouldn't know what to do with them.  I would know even less.  He
referred me to a local independent (not franchise) AT shop that changed fluid &
filter for $50.  Jiffy Lube wanted $80 just to siphon and replace the fluid,
without a filter change.

I'd suggest you call around to local AT shops and/or lube shops for quotes,
being sure to specify changing *both* fluid and filter.  If you're not towing
much, you should be able to find a good price on just a fluid change if you're
comfortable with that.

Don