[VAC] Re: Vent

Stuart & Bonnie,

If they did not change the design of the vent lifters between '60 and '65 I
can help you.

When I replaced my Astrodome it was necessary to drill holes in the new vent
cover so that the hinged end of the lifters could be pop rivited in place.
You want to position the holes so that the lifters will be straight up and
down when mounted, just like the other vents.
The vent lifters also attach to the trailer. Take a look at the lifter. Near
the end you twist, you will see 2 circular indentations made by a drill.
These indentations are what the trailer uses to "grab" the vent lifter. Now
go to an existing vent. You will see two pieces of aluminum going from the
vent opening frame to each vent lifter holding the lifter in place. To
remove the lifter all you have to do is to take a screwdriver and gently pry
one of the aluminum pieces away from the lifter.
The gasket seals the vent cover to the vent opening. If I remember correctly
as it passes by the vent lifters there is a very close fit, but I do not
think that I did anything special to make it work. However I did find that I
needed to place an additional layer of gasket material so that the vent
cover would seal the opening.
If you are using the replacement vent lifters that Inland sells and have the
original vent screen, you may find that in order to hold the vent screen in
place properly you will need a spacer installed on each lifter between the
lifter and the handle used to turn it. I used 3 garden hose washers.

Hope this helps
Scott
1960 Overlander