[VAC] help with floor rot

Help - lots of questions.
I know I saw something recently on the subject but I didn't keep track of
the info.  I recently removed the toilet in my '68 28' Ambassador rear bath
and found that the floor was totally rotted out around the flange.  The
metal flange around the plastic ring sealing the toilet to the tank is
essentially gone.  The plastic parts are in good shape and the tank does not
leak.  Does anyone know how the plastic flange is attached to the tank?  On
the top of the plastic flange it says that the flange must be attached to
the floor, but there is no visible means to do so.  Any ideas about
attaching it to the floor?  Finally, I will have to remove a couple of
square feet of flooring to patch in a new plywood floor.  I don't know how
far out I have to go to get to a frame member to support the patch.  The
tank top does not look strong enough to support the floor piece.  The tub
and other bath components are still installed.  Anyone know how far out I
have to go and if it is possible to repair this without tearing the whole
bath apart? Thanks in advance for any help offered.
Pete
pryner@interfold.com