[VAC] Fw: Floor Bolts

Hi Ed,

Excepting the front and rear angle iron/aluminum attachment to the frame,
the bolts that hold the monocoque to the floor do not pass through the
frame.  The floor is installed before the shell and the floor is bolted to
the frame at the ends of the outriggers.  The "U" channel is later bolted
with 1/4 - 20 bolts and bent over underneath the floor.  Additional hold
downs are sheet metal screws through the "U" channel into the floor.  When
the floor rots, the shell is loose!  Water frequently saturates the front
and rear rivets and bolts in and around the angle/iron hold downs.  When the
rivets are compromised, the shell is loose from the frame.  The 1/4-20 bolts
you see from under neath the cross frame inverted "U" iron only hold the
floor.  You'll just barely see the rivet heads that clinch the monocoque
Aluminum "U" channel, the floor, the bumper hatch shelf, and the angle
iron/aluminum.  I use iron/aluminum, because I've seen both in the '60s
airstreams.

In the attached picture, you can see the bent bolt and the rivet to the
left.  The white lower side of the cross frame is the floor tile, the upper
white is the rotted aluminum bumper hatch lid.

                                                     '69 Safari, Joy

Pc240046.jpg