[VAC] Bambi window repair

The grey glass retaining strips in the windows of our '61 Bambi have
shrunk by an inch or more, so we want to replace them before they
start leaking in earnest. I bought the new strip from Airstream
Dreams, a perfect match for the original. I checked RJ's site for
tips on window repair and it all looks quite doable but...

On the older (I think pre-63 or thereabouts) models the little
eyebrow rain gutter above the window curves down at the end such that
it is not possible to slide the window out of the frame. Has anyone
worked out a way to do this?

I'd rather avoid bending or removing the gutter. Or has anyone tried
the repair with the window in place?

Any ideas gratefully received.

Thanks,
Brian