[VAC] Re: Installing a trans temp gauge

Joy,
 I used regular solder, not silver solder or braze. The fitting was a
brass reducting bushing that I faced off, leaving a nice, smooth, shiny
face to solder onto the pan. Both fitting and pan were well-tinned when
I did the final soldering.

My memory doesn't tell me anymore what the melting point is on regular
soft solder, but it's well above normal operating temps of an automatic
transmission. There's no strain on either the guage or drain fitting, so
there should be no "fracture".

One caveat: besides checking to see that the temperature bulb won't hit
the tranny's innards, be sure that you don't install the fitting
directly under a bolt hole. (you don't need to ask how I know about this
problem!)

Silver solder would probably be better, and I have no excuse but
laziness for not using it. Both silver solder and flux are on my bench.

                                                        <<Jim>>