[VAC] Re: app weight of a 1978 31 foot Landyacht?

David,

What I do is inspect the dip stick each time I refuel. Sometimes I inspect
the dip stick at the top of a long grade after I pull off into a parking
area.

If the fluid is no longer pink but has turned brown, then it was too hot. If
the fluid no longer has the odor it had when it was pink (memorize the odor
of pink transmission fluid) but has a slight fragrance of being burned, then
it was too hot.  Not rocket science by any stretch of the imagination. Just
ordinary common sense.

As for a transmission temperature gauge, the proper location for
installation needs to be thought out first. A transmission shop can identify
the exact location where the temperature will be accurate. That will give
you enough time to avoid burning the fluid (if you happen to be looking at
the gauge just before it starts to burn).

Instead of a gauge, I opted for the biggest transmission oil cooler that
would reasonably fit in the space available. No halfway measures for me. My
mechanical engineer brother in law was adamant about telling me I'd ruin the
transmission because I was overcooling it. He said the same thing when I
installed a five core radiator (3 core was standard and 4 core was standard
in ambulances). So much for adament experts.

Hope this helps,

Terry
mailto:tylerbears@airstream.net