[VAC] Re: app weight of a 1978 31 foot Landyacht?

I have a 77 Excella 500 31' that has a dry weight of 5880 lbs according to
the owner's manual.  The Sovereign should be at least a few hundred pounds
lighter.  The owners manual also has an equation to factor needed engine size
per weight of trailer.  In '77, they recommend 400ci for the approx 7000 lb
Excella (loaded out).  Your 390 which is pre-pollution equipment that would
be on 77 vehicles and is in a Camper Special 3/4 ton truck should do fine.  I
have a friend with a '75 Excella 500 31' that used a 65 Mercury wagon to tow
from GA to the Colorado Rockies this summer and had no problem other than
carb adjustment in higher elevations.  I am sure he didn't race up any
mountains, but he said he had no problem keeping up with the big trucks and
their loads.

 <<re: the vacuum-brakes... i'd probably bypass the problem by replacing the
 brakes on the trailer with electrics. not a huge expense, and probably save
 money in the long run.

You can run a vacuum line to the back and see if they work well.  That setup
is supposed to be excellent when it works right, but repair parts are very
hard to come by.  I had the local dealer change mine over last year to full
electric at a cost of approx $1200, but my system was not functional after
years of non-use.

John -- 77 Excella 500
Atlanta