[VAC] More Than You Ever Wanted to Know About Toilets

Jay, I appreciate the offer. Actually, I have ordered a SeaLand china toilet
that should be here early next week. We are trying to maintain the look and
feel of the original ' 68 Tradewind even down to retaining the folding
toilet seat and seat back covered in the same fabric as the shower curtain.
The Thetford Aurora you installed is 17 3/4 inches high and the tallest
height that I can use in my Tradewind is 16 inches high and still retain the
original covered seat and seat back. The SeaLand model 900 is the only china
toilet that seems to fit the space in my Tradewind. The bad news is it's out
of production and no longer available. By calling SeaLand dealers all over
the country I found a dealer with a model 900 replacement bowl and he agreed
to mount it on a model 2010 base for me. It will fit my space perfectly. I
may have the only Airstream out there with a custom made toilet.

The dealer urged me to replace the two-bolt  metal floor flange with the
four-bolt floor flange. Due to the prior damage to the old Thetford, the
two-bolt flange was about rusted out. I had to build a special tool to
unscrew the plastic flange that screws into the top of the holding tank
through the metal flange. After a couple days soaking in Kroll penetrating
oil, I was able to unscrew the plastic flange and remove what was left of
the old metal flange. Now installing my new custom potty will be a snap.

Jim Greene
' 68 Tradewind w/custom potty