[VAC] Re: Fresh and grey water capacity

Scott,
 This is something that comes up from time to time; some folks feel that
"run it on the ground just like the tenters do" is OK, others feel that
grey water is akin to nuclear waste and must be put into a municipal
sewer.

As an FYI: we stayed in a couple of WV state parks on the way to the
Fall Escapade in Lewisburg, WV a couple of weeks ago. One had only 10
sites, seemingly catering to mostly tenters or folks with popups, as the
sites were very small. Each site had a fire ring, a flat area for the
tent, and a 4X4 post with a little shelf on it. On the ground below the
shelf was a wood frame with stone/gravel in it, and there was a sign on
the post saying "SUMP". The ones I observed were all right next to a
ditch/creek. It was obvious that this shelf was where you were to wash
dishes, and the water was to be dumped into the gravel "sump" so it
could be strained of the big chunks before going into the stream.

Based on this, I don't feel too bad about letting grey water run on the
ground in most areas. The major exception, IMO, would be where there are
many campers, week after week, causing the ground to become soaked. Or
on pavement, such as if you stay overnight at Camp WallyWorld.
Otherwise, the water will just go into the ground like it does from a
leach field, leaving a few food particles, etc. for the insects to
dispose of.

I'm not looking to start an argument, but if the State of WV feels it's
OK to dump wash water next to the creek, I'm not going to worry about
running it on the ground in most cases. When we attended A/S rallies, it
was common to see a 5-gallon bucket sitting under the drain fitting, but
I never saw any water in the bucket. Hmmmm.....

                                            <<Jim>>