[VAC] Re: New door Lock 76 Sovereign

Hello Don:

Humm... Been there done that.

For those of you who don't remember me, I usually just lurk here, I
am restoring/refurbishing a 25 foot 1975 Airstream Tradewind. (This
has been a learning experience.) The trailer will be ready for the
road soon.

Two weeks ago I replaced the airstream door lock mechanism with a new one.

>but I wonder if the quality is as good as the original.

I will say yes the quality is unchanged. The new locks are the same
as the old ones - more or less. I did find one difference between the
old lock and the new one.

The machine screw that hold the lock mechanism to the door are
different sizes. 10-24 for the new lock; 8-32 (I think) for the old.
Only the hole, next to the doorjam, required adjustment to install
the larger screws. I driled this hole out a little bit larger so that
the new larger screw would pass through easier.

However, it might not have been required to drill this hole out larger.

The place on the lock mechanism where this screw goes was not tapped
by the manufacture. It is possible that they intend for the installer
to tap this location to match the trailer. I decided to go ahead and
cut the threads to match the other machine screws and enlarge the
hole.

>Price is not the object since it will be paid by my insurance. At
>first glance I would say the new lock,

Then go with the new one. But be sure to save the old one!

The price of the new lock was stunning to me. I stopped at an
Airstream dealership when I was on the road for other reasons. But I
knew that I was going to pass by this dealer. So I had planned to
stop at this dealership and acquire a number of items that I needed
to make the unit roadworthy.

I decided to buy the new lock, in spite of the cost, so that I could
return home with everything I need to make the airstream roadworthy.

Even after 26 years of exposure I think the old unit will be
serviceable after being rebuild. I plan to rebuild the lock mechanism
sometime in the future. If for no other reason than the education.

Hope this helps.

--
Take care,
Tom