From: "Dr. Gerald N. Johnson, electrical engineer" <geraldj@isunet.net>
Subject: Re: GFCI

It will require taking some wiring apart. First you need to identify all

the receptacles on a circuit. Probably by having that circuit being the
only breaker on and test all receptacles for power (night lights in
quantity would make that quick). Then it gets messier. You have to guess

which receptacle on that circuit is closer to the panel and (with power
off) pull that receptacle and separate the two black wires from the
receptacle (providing it has two). It would be good to check that
there's only three load cables leaving the electrical box and that there

are no paralleled circuits on breakers. Then with the two black wires
separated you need to find out with power back on if you killed all the
receptacles on that circuit, then with test meter or light find which
black wire is the one from the panel. When you've identified that first
receptacle, you can drop in the GFI and attack the other receptacle
circuit.

The receptacles in my '68 Caravel are similar. Very few receptacles in
the trailer. I plan on adding one or two under the dinette and those
will be my GFCI for other circuits.

One major complication in the '68 Airstream. All the wiring is aluminum
and I don't know of any GFI rated for aluminum wires. I figure on trying

to run new copper in my '68 Caravel some day.

In the '68 owner's manual there is a kind of a wiring diagram that may
indicate the true paths of the wires from panel to receptacles. Have you

checked that diagram?

Gerald J.