[VAC] '57 Flying Cloud

Hi all,

A few weeks ago we finally got around to starting the restoration on the
1957 Flying Cloud (s/n 8022). An entire weekend was spent cleaning the
trailer from front to back, top to bottom.  A pickup load of 1970 era
cushions, carpet and curtains, plus piles of garbage and 44 years of
cheesy mods went along too.  The Black Widow spiders got evicted, as did
all other animal remnants and left-behinds. We were then able to explore
and document the condition of everything and map out our plan of attack.

The trailer condition might be classified as how you would find a
typical unused trailer that has been sitting for awhile beside someone’s
house or moldering out in a field. It had been parked in the 1970’s and
used as a cabin-like facility at a hunting club. The trailer looks to be
in original but neglected condition. It meets the criteria of "Basket
Case" on the http://vintageairstream.com/rr_topics_pricevscondition.html
page. What is amazing is that the sellers wanted $3500 because they felt
is was in average condition. We convinced them that $1000 was more appropriate.

Our inspection revealed:
- Much of the floor is rotted under the coral and gray Linoleum,
especially around the edges, under the bathroom, around the door, and
under the galley and fridge cabinets.
- Most of the cabinets are loose and water damaged. The back bed
cabinets have been modified for some unknown reason.
- Only one of the window operators work.
- Every window and door seal is shot.
- The fridge and oven don’t work.
- The tall Day & Night wall heater works!
- There is no 12 volt system in the entire trailer except for a single
small overhead light that was connected to the tow vehicle battery.
- The only hot water is a large 110v hot water heater under the sink –
there never was gas hot water heat.
- The only water pressure was provided by a city water connection or
from a hand pump connected to a smallish galvanized water tank.
- The galvanized black water tank and fittings are all rusted.
- On the trailer running lights, almost every inch of exposed wire is
brittle, and the lights are all rusted – none work – we had to use
portable lights to get it home.
- The brakes are hydraulically operated from a slave cylinder mounted on
the tongue. The hub actuator cylinders are leaking.
- The tires are from the late 1970’s and the wheels are rusty
split-rims. The wheel bearings and grease were in good condition.
Grease seals are original felts.
- The whole lower belly skin is full of holes and tears from dogs
chasing rabbits and "access holes" from over the years.
- The external skin is in very good condition, with only a few minor
fixable dents.
- The large evaporative "Kool-Air" air-conditioner is from 1957, so is
probably original. It has been leaking some, and is probably the source
of much of the floor damage and inner skin damage to the Zolatone paint finish.
- Someone has removed the original sofa-bed in front and installed a
poor imitation of a dinette. The table has a 2" sway and the wood and
design are of amateur quality.
- The shower walls are Coral colored Masonite (hardboard).
- The two Hehr vents are missing most of the openers, and only one vent
cover is original – and it looks like it has been run over a few times.

And so the restoration begins on this find.  The plan is do a faithful
restoration on it, using appropriate era materials and methods. Some
hidden functions will be updated: the brakes to electric, a 12 volt
battery & lighting system, new electric & plumbing lines, gas hot water
heat and a pressurized & filtered water system.

I started the Flying Cloud section of the website with a series of
before pictures at: http://vintageairstream.com/floyd/floyd_home.html

We will again document each phase of the restoration on the website, the
first being the brake conversion.

Our estimate is about 4 years (!) and about $7000 ought to do it.

We think it is important that we have the Caravel all restored and
available to go camping during this time. If this Flying Cloud project
was our only trailer, being grounded for 4 years would be very disheartening.

This is going to be fun!

Later,
RJ & Krista
1965 Caravel