[VAC] Re:

Carl, we generally don't need the entire digest with a comment.

I'd say the trailer needs to be reorganized into the modern wiring for
the modern 7 pin (6 flat, one round) Bargman connector universally used
today. Modern tow vehicles come with that from the factory with an
isolated trailer battery charging line to does charge the trailer
battery without allowing trailer use to kill the tow vehicle battery. If
you have back up lights on the trailer it will take a 7 wire harness but
you could scab the extra wire on the outside anchoring it with copies
wraps of black tape or occasional ratchet type wire ties (small versions
of the plastic handcuffs now popular). A plug that is aged is probably
corroded and installing a new plug will fix many contact problems more
rapidly than attempting to clean the old one. The modern Bargman plug
comes (even from Walmart) with a description of the connections by
function, e.g. left turn, right, markers, charging, etc.

In much of the vintage days, Airstream was at odds with the rest of the
RV industry on choice of connector and the connections.

I have applied a dab of clear silicone dielectric grease (as Ford
specifies for connectors, spark plug wires, and lamp sockets) to the
connections on my replacement plug and so far ever connection has been
trouble free. I also did that to my rebuilt and properly grounded marker
lights and they all work a year later with no fussing.

Gerald J.

GIF image