[VAC] onions in my water heater ?

Okay, I know this is strange, but when I finally got my water heater fired
up and ran the hot water taps it smelled like old onions that had sprouted .
It really stunk.  Help please.  The hot water heater has not been used for
at LEAST 3 years, maybe more.  I ran and ran the water.  I put chlorine in
there for overnight.  It is very smelly.  Do you think it's from the old
antifreeze that was in there ?  Or worse, is there a way something could get
in there and die ?

Carrie Welch
WBCCI#8344,VAC
1971 Safari