[VAC] Re: '59 Overlander

A seperate 12V line from tow vehicle to trailer was for camping without hookups. If your trailer came without a battery you would plug it in to provide for some lighting at night. It your trailer had a battery it would be used to keep trailer's battery "charged" extending the number of days you could dry camp. Driving the tow vehicle during the day would keep its battery charged, but you still had to be careful or else your car would need a jump! I believe that this system was discontinued in '59 or the start of the '60 model year. As you have realized this system was redundant. I am sure it worked better than the regular wiring line we now use, especially when both lines were used at the same time. Modern solutions to the power problem include solar and generators.

Scott
1960 Overlander