[VAC] Re: Winterizing -bypass valves

Randy, it sounds to me that possibly the heater bypass valve was installed
incorrectly and 10 of your 13 gallons of your antifreeze went into the hot
water tank. I don't believe there's any way the water lines in a trailer
would hold 13 gallons on antifreeze.

The first year I had my ' 71 Tradewind (which was 1971) I blew out the water
lines with compressed air and did not use antifreeze. Did the usual running
the front of the trailer up and down with the tongue jack to help drain the
low places. In the spring when connected up to city water a small flood
appeared through the belly pan. The water line running across the bathroom
door threshold to the shower had frozen and split. It was a real pain to
replace without taking out the bathroom bulkheads. In fact, the local
Airstream dealer said taking out the bulkhead was the only way to do it. I
managed otherwise but decided to invest in 2-3 gal of antifreeze in addition
to blowing out the lines rather than taking a chance on another frozen and
split pipe.

Glad you are having satisfactory results with your approach to winterizing.

Jim Greene
' 68 Tradewind