[VAC] Re: Synthetic transmission oil

Jack,
 I've seen the experts recommend synthetic transmission fluid for
heavy-duty use such as towing. Main reason is that it doesn't break down
when overheated. However, the seals inside the tranny will still suffer
from excessive heat, so I personally think the real key is to keep the
oil cool in the first place.

Install a guage so you KNOW how hot your oil is getting (or not getting,
as the case may be). Be aware that there's 2 situations that will cause
excessive transmission heating, especially with a unit that incorporates
a lockup torque converter: towing on steep hill where the converter is
unlocked, and manuevering around a parking area, especially if on a hill
or soft ground.

                                            <<Jim>>