[VAC] Power Inverters

Hi all -

This really is Airstream related (though a bit of a stretch), and I'm sure
someone on these lists will know the answers. I have some mobility problems,
and when I go somewhere I can't go anywhere! So I just bought an
all-terrain, big, "personal mobility vehicle" (i.e., electric scooter) that
loads into my van with an electric lift. I know a lot about solar panels and
charging batteries that way, but I don't think that's going to work in this
case. So I'm trying to learn something about power inverters. I want to be
able to charge the batteries when I'm on the road. I think about a 400 to
600 watt inverter would be enough; the scooter has two 12-volt 40 amp hour
batteries. The inverter would be mounted in the van, and wired directly to
the battery.

There seem to be several brands available - Cherokee, Road Worthy, Whistler,
and Statpower. Any recommendations on brand (either good or bad)? Any
reasons why this wouldn't work? Anything else I should know?

Thanks for any help - and you can respond to me privately at
mailto:sherryhayes@earthlink.net.

Happy Trails - Sherry
'63 Bambi, WBCCI 1104, VAC, WDCU, TCT