[VAC] Shocks...again.

Hi again.

I have a strange, (and possibly stupid), question about shocks...what
exactly do the shocks on Airstreams/Argosy's do?  I know of other trailers,
(Awards), that use the same axle, and don't use any shocks.  I've also seen
U-haul trailers using the Dura-torque axles, and again no shocks.

I realize that Airstream/Argosy's are designed and built totally different,
but do they actually require shocks?  Do the shocks cut down on tire bounce
due to rough roads?  Would running without shocks be too rough on the
trailer?  Any ideas would be appreciated.

Also, what about upgrading axles?  Specifically, what about putting new
axles rated at 3500lbs. each, on a trailer that originally had 2800lb.
axles?  Is this a good idea?  Bad idea?  Would the extra rating of the axles
eliminate the need for shocks?

Any thoughts?

Jamie
1976 28' Argosy (suspended about 3' off the frame)
1978 24' Argosy