[VAC] Re: Electric water heater

Bobby:
I started full-timing in my rig a month ago, and have been pretty amazed
with the little 6-gallon water heater. I use about 5 gallons of water a day,
enough for one water-on-all-the-time shower and one small load of dishes in
the sink. The water heater fires just once a day, after my shower (granted,
it's summer), and the heat from the pilot light alone maintains the temp
until my next shower. I doubt it is using much propane, as it's firing time
seems short--just a few minutes. If you have a working gas heater or can
find one inexpensively, I think she'll be fine. I don't know how long my
twin 30 gal tanks will last, but I'm betting a long, long time. In your mild
climate, they'd go even farther.

My gas use is probably reduced by a couple of cheap tricks: I have 100' of
black rubber hose leading to the trailer, so the water is preheated by the
air and by an occasional ray of sunlight that penetrates the tree canopy. My
hose is in the shade; were it in direct sunlight I'm sure the heater would
be completely uneccessary on sunny days. Also, I insulated around the water
heater pretty well with fiberglass batts and foil-faced foam. How much that
helps, I don't know.

Dan
75 Argosy 26
Des Moines