[VAC] Re: Cart before the Horse

         Reply to:   RE: [VAC] Cart before the Horse
We use the new large Mitsubishi Montero SUV (the one that tips over in
Consumer's "accelerate while swerving like a maniac" test) to tow a 17'
Caravel all through the West. I figure that a '50's 22 footer is as
heavier and as long as I would feel comfortable with.  I would not be
able to routinely tow a newer 23 footer with it.  Since the Explorer is
smaller and lighter than the bigger Montero, you see where I'm heading
with this.
On the other hand, if the trips will be occasional, and mostly on flat
land and good weather, the Safari is within the Explorer's tow capacity.
 As you can see, this topic isn't black & white.

For casual trailer use for families, I've never been a big fan of
getting a large expensive tow vehicle - it's a waste of your and the
earths resources.  A good compromise might be one of the newer large
SUV's (small trucks really) with fuel efficient engines - Tahoe's,
Navigator's, Expeditions, Jimmy's & LandCruisers and their brethren.
 This way you have a use for the vehicle when it's not used for towing.
 Their about town mileage is upper 'teens thanks to computers.  That's
about the same as the little SUV's, a little better than a standard
equipped large truck or 'Burb/Excursion, and 8-10 MPG worse than a car.

As an interesting sidenote, the larger vehicles are actually more fuel
efficient than the smaller V-6's when towing by about 2-4 MPG.

And you thought finding an Airstream was hard....

RJ
'65 Caravel
'57 Flying Cloud