[VAC] Purchased Airstream #2

Hi all !

Well it happened. Before buying the 60 Overlander I had been chasing a local 66 Tradewind. The owners are in their mid 70's and have not used it in 8 years. I kept in touch with them for over a year but ultimately they said their son was taking it. (but it doesn't end there)

I purchased a 60 Overlander in October of 2000 from Southern Ohio but did not pick it up until June 2001. I drove from Calgary to south of Columbus Ohio in 2 days (approx 3000 miles one way) while my wife Barb and 2 young daughters flew out. We then took 2 weeks for the return trip which included a visit to the Airstream factory for a tour, a detour to Niagara Falls, 3 days in Chicago (hotel), a visit to Wisconsin Dells, a stop at the International Rally in Sioux Falls (caught up with Scot & Lise Scheuermann who also own a 60 Overlander) , visits to Mt Rushmore and Crazy Horse monuments and a pass through Montana on the way home to Calgary.

It was a fabulous trip with only one mishap, a huge hailstorm near Mt Rushmore that left the curbside of our Overlander rather dimpled.

We continued to enjoy the Overlander almost every weekend in July and August and then the phone rang. Remember the 66 Tradewind at the beginning of this tale? The owners son was being transferred to Europe and would not be taking their trailer after all. Well before I knew it I had bought my 2nd Airstream. It is a very clean 66 Tradewind with a double bed layout. It needs an oven and a furnace and a polish but that appears to be all. (of course I expect some surprises). All the curved windows are intact, the subfloor is solid, the original fabric on both Gauchos is in good shape (the foam was replaced about 10 years ago) the interior woodwork is original. Even all 4 hubcaps and the owners manual are included. I will continue to share with the list the roller coaster ride of vintage Airstream ownership but it is definitely a high for us at the moment.

Best Regards
Terry O'Neill
60 Overlander International Double
66 Tradewind Double
WBCCI 4786
VAC

P.S. interesting to note that the 60 Overlander specs say it weighs 3250 lbs but the 66 Tradewind is 2 ft shorter but weighs 4080lbs. Where is the extra beef hiding?