[VAC] Re: Is a rock protector necessary?

Charles,

My Airstream has been in the family since 1960. I have owned it since 1989.
I cannot prove it, but believe that this trailer has well over 200K miles on
it as my family has used it extensively. It does not have a rockguard on it
and it never has. In all this time and miles the front glass has only broken
once. Since I (like you) just have the flat glass that is very easily
replaced at a nominal cost I feel that the slight inconvienence once in 41
years due to a broken window is no big deal.

What is a big deal is the view I am able to get by looking at my rear view
mirror and being able to see all the way through the trailer and out its
back window. I like to know what is back there and what is about to try to
pass me. The added saftey and confidence that this provides is worth much
much more that a cheep piece of glass.

Not everyone will agree with me, and if I had the Corning glass or the
curved front windows to either side of the main front window I would
probably feel differently too. These are costly and hard to replace. But
with our flat front window I do not feel that you need to be cautious in
this area.

Scott Scheuermann
1960 Overlander