[VAC] Re: Cooper tires

Bob,

I recently ran into the same problem.  In mid-July, just prior to departing
on an RVing vacation to Grand Teton, Yellowstone, Mt. Rushmore, Sturgis, and
Lewis and Clark's Fort Mandan (replica), I ordered a set of four new
Michelin XCA 700 x 15s from my local SAM's Club.  The tires were listed in
the SAM's special order catalog but turned out to be no longer available
from the manufacturer.  I was disappointed!

Along with doubt about the quality of GY Marathons I didn't want to use
225/75R15 radials because they have a slightly smaller diameter than 700 x
15s.  This change will result in slightly less ground clearance which is a
problem with longer trailers which will drag their tails when
entering/exiting fuel stations and other driveways and ramps.

I didn't want to use the old-fashioned bias ply truck tires on this '84
trailer which will see a lot of highway miles, frequently at high speeds,
and I was not willing to spend $700 for a set of trailer tires from a local
tire retailer so I compromised.  I bought a set of BF Goodrich 235/75R15
"XL" tires from SAM's.  The XL stands for extra load.  That tire was used
extensively several years ago on heavy duty 1/2 ton Ford pickups with GVWR
of up to 6200 pounds.  The tires can be inflated to 41 psi at which pressure
they are rated to carry, I think, 2340 lbs. per tire.  The set of four was
approximately $300 mounted and balanced with hazard warranty from SAM's.
The tires are not ST special trailer rated which I personally think is a lot
of hype anyway.  ST tires supposedly withstand aging and cracking from UV
rays but it was my experience that GY Marathons did not live up to the
claims on a '93 34' A/S.  If your trailer will be parked more often than
towed, you may prefer to use ST tires.  My usage will wear out the tire
tread before the tires become UV cracked so I installed a non ST tire.

I just returned from a 4300 mile, ten state marathon using those tires with
complete satisfaction and no problems whatsoever.  Some will think this is
insane but on a number of occasions, when passing a slow moving 18 wheeler,
I ran up to as much as 90 mph with the trailer in tow.  I'm not recommending
such speeds as prudent but my new Dodge-Cummins dually reached that speed so
quickly and easily I was tempted to keep my foot down and see just how fast
it was willing to pull.  I considered the wreckage that would result from a
trailer tire blowout at 100 mph so backed off and returned to the speed
limit.

Harvey