[VAC] Sonora Pass

         Reply to:   [VAC] Sonora Pass
Hi guys,
I've finally caught up after our vacation - and have a few minutes here
to give a quick update on our last trip in the Airstream. The only
reason I'm going to the trouble is:
a) many people ask what's it like to camp in the little 17' Caravel, and
b) it was a great trip!

Destination was Sonora Pass (9860ft) in the Sierras north of Yosemite up
Hwy 108, a narrow two lane winding road that still follows the original
pack road that went between the old mining regions of Sonora and
Bridgeport.  Never liking close neighbors, we hauled the little Caravel
up a dirt road to a remote US Forestry Campground along a little creek
that feeds down to the Stanislaus River.
$5 a night gets you get a wood picnic table and few pit toilets, and are
legal to have a campfire. But that's why we have the self-contained
Airstream!  A built-in water supply, toilet, refrigerator and lights
when needed.

The resulting camp atmosphere is that of the golden age of travel
trailering - 1946 to 1968.  Mix the smell of pines, cedars and campsmoke
with the visual of the little Caravel set-up in a camp setting using
period pieces - with no other people in sight, and you'd swear you were
back in time 40 years.  This is how I remember spending the summers, and
the Caravel serves as the time machine.  No TV's, and only the sound of
the wind in the tree-tops and the creek burbling all night long. These
vignettes are still obtainable with a self contained smaller trailer.

How does the Caravel perform?  Well, we were there 5 days, and the
single 12v Deep-Cycle battery was still going strong at the end.  During
that time it powered the water pump through 40 gallons of water,
operated the 12v incandescent lights as needed each evening and the
exhaust fan on occasion.  Conservation is the key here.

The black water tank lasted the 5 days, but once again experience and
conservation are paramount.  Conserve toilet paper usage (swells up like
a sponge), and use the rinse nozzle for flushing.  The toilet tank is
only for when you are hooked up to city water - it's amazing how many
people don't know that and fill their blank water tanks and drain their
potable water tank within 2 days.

Speaking of potable water, our 20 gallon tank required re-filling once,
as we took 2 showers during the time. I must say, the ability to take a
shower every other day is a lifesaver.  Anyone who has camped and hiked
in the mountains in the summer know what I mean.  The key once again is
conservation - this original shower wand has a on/off valve, and a navy
shower (lather up, rinse off) is in order.

Gray water goes into whether a "leaky bucket" when drainage and soil
conditions will allow, otherwise it goes into the blue tank and hauled
off away from the campsite.

Sleeping arrangements in a small trailer like the Caravel are always of
interest.  With two sofabeds and no permanent lay-flat bed, the trailer
can seem voluminous - but at night it becomes another story.  All that
open floor disappears except for a narrow 9"-10" path back to the
bathroom.  The two beds, one full size and the other a twin, are suited
best for 2 adults and one older or 2 younger kids - and only if everyone
gets along as the setting is very intimate.  Someone rolls over -
everyone knows it.  We have a divider curtain that can be snapped in
place at the crown break to divide the two beds.

The fix-it list is getting smaller each subsequent trip - only 7 items
this time - and nothing major!  A travel trailer is in constant need of
maintenance, and vintage airstreams are no exception.  It is important
to keep an ongoing list during the trip, because as soon as the last of
the gear is put away, you will forget it all, only to have it come up
again next trip.

All in all, it is great to return from a trip relaxed and looking
forward to the next opportunity!

Later,
RJ & Krista
1965 Caravel