[VAC] Re: plumbing

My experience with replacing copper plumbing in my 66 is that it's older copper tubing has a thicker wall and will not match today's tubing.  Add to this the probability that at some time over the years the tubing has swelled because of freezing.  I worked around the problem by taking the flare fittings from the faucet and using them to join the original tubing to flex pipe.  During this process I found that copper pipe does not swell uniformly during freezing.  You will have your best chance of a fit at a high point in the tube where the freezing didn't swell the pipe unless the entire line was fully pressurized at the time of the freeze.

It's been two years since I made the join and it has held very well.  Hope this helps.
Bob
http://mrminimal.com