[VAC] Re: Water Pump

Matt,
 The Avion had nothing in the way of a pressure chamber. Although the
pump always cycled on and off with water usage, it wasn't a problem
until we had been travelling for over a month. Then, the pump (a Jabsco
diaphragm type) would actually cycle the pressure switch ("click, click,
click") as it came up to pressure. Easy to picture: as the diaphragm was
compressed, the pressure switch would open, as the crankshaft rolled
over center, it would close, etc. This was very annoying, not to say
hard on the switch and pump.

Sooo... while in McAllen, TX, I went to Camping World and bought a new
Shurflo pump and a small accumlator, total about $100.00. My friend took
me to the most wonderful hardware I've ever seen outside of our local
True Value, where I got the reinforced Tygon tubing and fittings to
install the pump and tank. Now, you can draw about a large cup of water
before the pump cycles on; the pressure is much smoother while in the
shower, and things just plain work better.

Since then, I read someplace that "if your pump is short-cycling, drain
the water heater and reinsert the plug so you re-establish the air
cushion". That makes sense, but isn't the way a water system is supposed
to work, IMO. The little accumlator is a better deal.

                                        <<Jim>>