[VAC] Dometic Refrigerator "Burping"

An update on my experience with "burping" the Dometic refrigerator removed
from my '84 Excella:

For anyone who did not read my earlier posts on the subject, the original
factory installed Dometic refrigerator in my '84 Airstream Excella was
cooling but not satisfactorily.  Freezer temperature was a measured 12.8
degrees and the temp in the food compartment was 48 degrees when the temp
knob was in the "maximum" position.  A friend who I bought the trailer from
had a replacement cooling unit (new or rebuilt?) installed several years ago
and it seemed to be working okay when I bought it.  ((The moral of this
story is measure the temps in freezer (0 degrees) and fridge (approx. 30
degrees warmer) before buying a used Airstream.)  Even your friend selling
an Airstream may forget to tell you that food spoils in the fridge.

I planned to remove and replace the unit but many have spoken of the
practice of "burping" an absorption refrigerator by removing from the
trailer, turning upside down for 24 hours, then righting the fridge and
turning it back on.  Some have told me that the practice worked for them so
I decided to try it before investing $1k in a replacement fridge.

48 hours after burping the fridge for 24 hours then righting it and plugging
it back in to 110 volt electricity the freezer temperature remained at the
same 10 degrees on my cheap $3 Wal-Mart thermometer as before the fridge was
removed and burped.

In conclusion, I'm going to Camping World in Denton, TX early this week to
pick up a replacement.  Burping the fridge in this case did not improve the
situation.  It didn't cost anything to try it and I removed any possible
doubt that might occur later if someone asked me, "did you try burping it
before you replaced it?"

From what I have learned from my own experience and several more
knowledgeable list members, burping can sometimes work but probably only if
the fridge is of the older design which was more susceptible to problems
caused by off-level operation and probably only if it has been parked for a
lengthy period.  In my case, the fridge reportedly has a restriction in the
upper portion of the cooling coils which blocks circulation of the coolant
mixture.  An experienced RV repair tech felt of the coils on the back before
I removed the fridge and told me he could tell from the temperature
differential that the coil was obstructed.

Camping World is offering the Dometic RM 2820 for $987 plus $25 shipping or
$75 installation in a July sales catalog.  For anyone who lives on or near
the West Coast, Advanced RV Parts http://www.advrv.com in National City, CA
offered free shipping to meet Camping  World's prices when I offered to buy
an RM-2820 for the '84 and an RM-2510.2 for my '66 Safari at the same time.
They indicated a willingness to negotiate so anyone who is shopping for
trailer parts might want to contact them.

Attached below is the series of posts in reverse chronological order
exchanged with Advanced RV.  In my opinion it is commendable for an RV parts
retailer to take the time to exchange e-mails and negotiate with a potential
customer.  Considering sales tax, his price is actually much better than CW.
The only reason I'm going to buy from Camping World instead is because CW is
within driving distance and I can spend part of a day visiting with my '91
year old uncle and aunt when I pick up the fridge instead of waiting a week
or so to receive the units via truck from CA.  (and I wanted an excuse to
try out my new Dodge-Cummins puller.)  I will buy from Advanced RV in the
future.

Harvey
_______
Final message received from Joseph at Advanced RV:

> OK, $1015.00 Delivered for the RM 2820 & $740.00 Delivered for the RM
2510.
> Call 1-888-426-8707 to order.  Joseph-advrv
---------------------------------------
Second reply:

> Harvey Barlow wrote:

> Joseph,
>
> Thanks for your prompt reply.  Your price is better than Camping World but
> they are offering a brief $25 shipping charge.
>
> Can you offer me a better price if I also buy a Dometic RM 2510.2.  I need
> one for a vintage '66 Airstream Safari 22'.
>
> I'm not trying to squeeze out your profit, just offering you an
opportunity
> to beat Camping World's prices if you can.
>
> Thanks.
>
> Harvey Barlow
> Lubbock, TX
Reply:

First message:

> > Harvey Barlow wrote:
> >
> > > The refrigerator in my '84 Airstream 31' is ailing and I'm looking for
> > > a replacement.  I have been told by an Airstream service center that
> > > the best fit available is a Dometic RM 2820.  Glancing through your
> > > list of offerings I don't see this refrigerator. Is it available?  If
> > > so, what is the price.  Please advise. Thanks, Harvey Barlow Lubbock,
TX