[VAC] Re: We did it!

Tim,

Congratulations on your purchase and joining the fraternity.  Your new step
child looks great with the exception of the windows.

I don't know of an easy solution to replacing the windows.  Flat windows or
gently curved (top to bottom arch) windows can be replaced with inexpensive
Acrylite II, a material from the plastics family.  Your windows will require
actual Airstream windows of the same size and shape to the best of my
knowledge.  List members with extensive restoration experience will be able
to provide a list of Airstream dealers who have a supply of salvage parts
and also listings of salvage trailer dealers.  One that I am familiar with
is  Colaw RV Salvage  http://www.colawrv.com which buys wrecked trailers
including Airstreams and deals in take-off parts.  Colaw is located in SW MO
along I-44.  Unfortunately, many wrecked Airstreams have front impact damage
on one or the other front corners as well as roll-over damage so although
many wrecked units can be found, wrecked units with good windows are harder
to locate.  Perhaps an old trailer that has been sitting around for years
resulting in rotted floors and other decay and damage rendering the unit
beyond economical repair containing good windows could be purchased as a
parts trailer.  They exist, it is a matter of locating one.

Good luck,
Harvey