[VAC] Frame repairs

I have been lurking on this list for quite some time and have found it to be
a veritable wealth of information.  Now, I need some information.

I have just finished removing the underbelly skin from my 1973 Overlander.
The front third of the frame is in need of some major repairs due to rust
damage from water that has leaking into the area.  The worst spot is a
section about 30" long where the bottom section of the C-channel has
completely rusted away.  A number of the outriggers also are rusted away
along the bottom edge.  The A-frame for the hitch appears to have very heavy
pitting on the bottom surface.  Fortunately, from the fresh water tank back
the freame is in very good condition,  having only surface rust.

Am I correct in planning to have the frame repaired at a local welding shop
using angle iron?  Is there a better way?  Is there some kind of special
paint that can be used to help prevent rust?

It appears that the water entered at the seam between the exterior side
walls and the bottom pieces.  This seam appears to be something of a funnel
for any water that gets even close to it.  What is the best way to improve
this area to avoid future problems?

Any comments to assist with project are appreciated.

Richard McIntyre
'73 Overlander