[VAC] Loosey Goosey Brake Magnet?

Pulled the hubs off my '76 Trade Wind for the first time today, with the
ambition of repacking bearings and inspecting brakes. Once I got the whells
off the ground, I noticed that they made one heck of a lot of scraping
sound when I turned them by hand.

Disassembled, bearing look great, so I'm ready to repack.

But, I'm not sure I understand these brakes. I can see the shoes, adjuster
wheel, springs top and bottom, and, finally, the magnet.

What looks so strange is the looset goosey nature of the mount for the
magnet. It seems to just hang loosey, held with a almost not there spring
at the back and a loop around a short stud to the side. After I saw the
first one I was sure something was wrong and pulled the other hub on that
side just to check. Both exactly the same.

You can tell I'm not familiar with electric brakes. Tell me. If the
magnet's hanging in there so loosely, doesn't it just rub the inside of the
hub all the time?

Greg